Take a deep breath. You with me? Because I am about to lay it bare. Fat is not bad. Fat is fuel (1). Fat is a vital storage mechanism and vehicle of information. I told you to breathe. Our body is an amazing machine. We are biomechanics at their finest. When looking at how our bodies function in terms of energy consumption it is easiest to compare them to a high-performance vehicle. We will surely progress from this basic example but bear with me so that things moving forward make more sense from the energy efficiency standpoint. If you take a minute to think of as many fuel sources as there are out there that can make an engine start (even some that will cause too intense a combustion and leading to engine failure) you can clearly see the comparison to the multitudes of options we have here in the west to choose from for sustenance.
I vividly remember my mother telling me about her oldest children and their desire to go to the theme park one summer. She could not afford to sustain a home entirely (utilities, groceries, clothing and toiletries), have gas to get to work so that the maintaining of the house could continue, and pay for adequate enjoyment at a theme park. She explained this to her children. Being an ambitious bunch, they were ever so eager to help. They thought they had an alternative fuel source directly from the house. Right there the whole time… Had mother not seen this? They believed the water hose to be the same as the gas line at the filling stations. These innocent youth in hopes of achieving their goal and assisting their hard-working mother, did just the opposite. They cost her much more money as she had to have the entirety of the fuel system pumped.
Throughout our time together on this site I will continue to refer to this example as it is key in understanding the body’s desire for the correct fuels and the long-term and very costly effects that using bad fuels can have on our systems. Before we continue ahead there are a few ground rules we need to set:
- Whatever you learn here has been compiled by me through a comprehensive process that is thorough in its scientific theory and evidence as well as through personal experience (i.e.: Z’heir Khali has tried it and seen the benefits). I am not backed, affiliated with or sponsored by any organization dealing with the laws and regulations of foods and farming. This is your fellow citizen who cares about his and his family’s well being and longevity as well as his community and Third Rock Mother Earth at large.
- ALWAYS BEWARE OF WHAT A WEBSITE SAYS IS A HEALTHY FORM OF THIS OR THAT. REGARDLESS OF THE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE OR GOVERNMENT AGENCY. YOU ARE THE GOVERNOR OF YOUR BODY AND IT IS UP TO YOU TO LOOK DEEPLY INTO THE DIFFERENT CLAIMS ABOUT WHAT IS DEEMED HEALTHY AND BENEFICIAL AND WHAT IS SEEN AS HARMFUL AND TOXIC. *** OFTEN TIMES THERE WILL BE SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS OF CORRECT EVIDENCE OF HOW THE BODY WORKS OR HOW SOMETHING WE CONSUME WILL EFFECT THE BODY IN A POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE WAY-ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CROSS REFERENCE, FIND THE PROCESS OF THE FOOD FROM ITS ORIGIN, ASK THOSE WHO ARE HEALTH SAVY!
- Understand that I will go against almost everything you know to be true. But never forget I am not backed by anybody that may lead you one way or another in order to swindle your pocket. I am here to spread the knowledge I have acquired and approved of for optimal health. I will always opt for simple, organic, affordable and understandable. (Less is best when starting to reclaim your health)
- If a sponsor does come along and I become affiliated with them know that nothing they do will be counterproductive of what I approve. All natural. All organic. All the time. As it should be. I will then give my honest feedback of the product and how it made me feel. If the way it made me feel causes you to want to look into the company and then patronize them that is great. But never am I here to hawk a brand at you for a profit or a boost.
Now that the foundation is set let us begin to debunk some myths about fat. First and foremost, fat is essential to many of the bodily functions dealing directly with growth and reproduction. Let us emphasize and clarify here that these basic terms of growth and reproduction are not limited to one getting taller or more muscular in external physique or the physical maturity to involve oneself in the act of reproducing. Far, far more than that occur beneath just those two terms. For example, the growth of one’s prefrontal cortex is stimulated through the diet (2). Through the consumption of Docosahexaeonic acids (DHA), an essential omega-3 fatty acid that is a critical building block. In the same instance, for that growth to come about there must be massive cell reproduction. So, as we move forward let us not only associate these terms with what we have come to know colloquially and the connotations which ring from them; but we must look further to the original meanings and functions that will allow us to reap the most benefit and understanding of the subject matter. Fat is also essential for the storage and activation of the surplus of compounds which Hueman bodies cannot produce. Vitamins A, D, E, and K would be needed in much higher amounts if our body could not store what it does not immediately utilize post initial digestion and thus losing all excess to excretion. By storing the adequate number of vitamins inside of the adipose tissue we maximize our intake at any given meal and thus we can understand how for thousands of years hunter gatherer communities could go through phases of feast and famine and yield maximum benefits from their environment (3).
Why is fat such a better fuel for us than glycogen (stored glucose)? We see that it assists in the function of cell production and vital storage functions but how is that granting us energy. We must then look at the efficiency of fat as an energy source. By weight fat is at a ratio of 9:4 times more productive than carbohydrates. That is 2.25 times more efficient a fuel source. So, by being able to store less of a more powerful substance you are freeing up space and function. We see the new commercial advertisements for new electric vehicles and hybrid electrics as well as bio fuel vehicles. All of these options are to decrease the high usage of dirty and unsustainable fuels. If we were to compare not only the efficiency of bio diesel engines and regular petrol engines we would find significantly less pollution production. This is very similar to the free radical release that occurs when we indulge in processed carbs, trans fats, indulgence of alcohol, cigarettes, processed meats, mercury from the seafood in our diet, pollution exposure, tooth fillings. Not to mention the aluminum in anti-perspirant and deodorant. These free radicals still need to be cleaned up and evicted from the body and that takes energy. So, what occurs within the body after the consumption of so many nutrient deficient snacks we virtually divert that bit of low-quality energy we were going to receive from it to the process of cleaning up what itself leaves behind. If we eat smarter our bodies will work much harder for us with less expenses. Now and later on down the line.
We need our bodies to be running on as clean a fuel source as possible and maximizing that fuel source to its full potential. In life we encounter bouts of stress, and inactivity or over exertion, fear, anxiety, grief, sickness and many more unforeseeable circumstances. All of these simple and common happenings are inevitable. They will happen and they will come consecutively as well as concurrent. The best way to alleviate stress and to avoid our bodies and minds having very negative and detrimental reactions is to ensure our immune system and brain are properly nourished, cared for and appreciated. Through a properly outfitted plant based healthy fats diet we ensure that our brain has the proper levels of DHA and other essential fatty acids to process sticky social situations and allow our immune system functions to rid us of the toxic free radicals causing the changes in our behavior and body chemistry. Lest we go to start our car one day and realize our entire system needs to be pumped and we are parked in life with no way to pay for the piling costs of repair. Take the time and read up on the references posted to give yourself a deeper association with the processes of your body. It will always be up to you to make sure you are at your optimum. Don’t settle for the standards of society. The Center or Disease Control reported in 2016 that: in 2013-2014 that 70.9% of Americans over the age of 20 were overweight or clinically obese (4). Though it does not always pan out to be the best indicator of health the collective health of the west by other factors such as chronic disease markers is what is truly worrisome. Set your own standards and be a leader. Be #SuperHueman & #Elevate.
- Saenz,Catherine.BodyBuilding.com, http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ketogenic-dieting-101-how-to-use-fat-as-fuel.html. Accessed 8 Mar. 2018.
- Blaylock, Russell L. “DHA and Brain Development.” Life Extension, Jan. 2008, pp. 1-2. Google, www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2008/1/report_dhafishoil/page-01. Accessed 7 Aug. 2018.
- Berbesque, J C. “Hunter Gatherers Have Less Famine Than Agriculturalists.” PMC,vol.10,no.1, Jan.2014, doi:24402714, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3917328/#RSBL20130853C21. Accessed 10 Aug. 2018.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2016, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm. Accessed 10 Aug. 2018.